Friday, June 1, 2012

Swans on Logger's Creek: A First?

 






 
I was taking a walk through our backyard when I heard some odd sounds coming from the direction of the creek.  It was unfamiliar to me and captured my attention.  I was pleasantly surprised when I realized what was behind the strange noises.

We've seen a variety of ducks, geese, otters, beavers, crawdads, fish, snakes, but never swans.  I believe this was a first.   I grabbed my phone to capture the moment.

It's hard to see but there are two baby swans (cygnets) swimming around their parents.  They were adorable!

The swans hung around for most of the afternoon.   At one point I looked out the window to see if they were still there and could only find one baby in the water.  I got a little worried and wondered where the other one went.  Upon closer inspection I noticed the lost cygnet wasn't lost at all but was safely nestled in the feathers on the back of one of the adults.  I had never seen anything like that before.

I guess today was a day of firsts!

2 comments:

Carol's Corner said...

One of the perks of living where you do, to see such things. Beautiful picture, too.

Linda said...

The two adult swans live over there by you at a house that backs up to a nice pond on the creek. They have been there for several years and have had a few batches of babies. We have been watching them on their nest this spring and were excited to see the babies. Every now and then you can see the swans on the Julia Davis pond and the Park Center Pond, but their abode seems to be over there by you. I think they are Mute Swans.